Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Media Management

Well, my Media Management Unit in Family Foundations has come to a close. I thought you might be interested in the final result. I am proud to say that I have not logged into Facebook since October 26. I'm not particularly proud of the rest of the results, but I will definitely learn from them. Here is the finally tally of my media use in the last two weeks:
So...In the last two weeks I spent 42.1 hours watching TV or movies. That's a part-time job. Yikes. The thing is, 12.1 hours of TV is about 52 minutes a day- which equals one episode of a TV show. In the last two weeks I watched 8 movies. To me, that doesn't seem like an insane or unreasonable amount, but when you look at the actual number of hours it seems a whole lot worse. 42.1 hours is 8% of 14 days. Now I see that there is no excuse for me not to go to the gym, not go to the temple, not read my scriptures, not write in my journal...etc.

I also wanted to include a few quotes from my paper I submitted. I will keep it short so I don't lose you. :)

"I was the most surprised with how much I didn’t miss Facebook. Its amazing how something that was a part of my daily life really didn’t matter. I didn’t feel disconnected from my friends or family. I wasn’t dying to know what was going on in random "friends" lives. I was more productive and on my computer a lot less. I also found that I would be inclined to want to check my Facebook at school, usually during class. What a waste. I’m paying to be here and to get an education; no class is too boring or seemingly “unimportant” that Facebook should take precedence."

In closing...

"I plan to continue monitoring and minimizing unnecessary media use. I have too many things I want to do and more important things to do with my time. I have things I want to accomplish in my life; sitting on the couch fulfills none of them. I think if I can continue to improve, this “plan” will help me be better in all aspects of my life. I will get more done- helping me to achieve more goals. I will have real relationships that will develop and grow; relationships that exist and thrive on real communication, not cyber communication....I won’t be too caught up in that show or the “he said, she said” that goes on in the Facebook world."


OK, maybe not as short as I originally thought....I have a lot to say, I guess. Now, get off your computer and go read a book or something. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment