Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Domesticality

Today, I was ambitious. I busted out a few of my many cook books (we got quite a few for our wedding, sort of ironic considering how I am a terrible cook...but it also perfect because I can use all the help I can get). I decided on a crockpot clam chowder soup from the cook book my mom gave us for Christmas.

It seemed easy enough...(which I guess most crock pot cooking is) but I would be lying if I said everything was smooth sailing.
First road bump....I read evaporated milk in the recipe. We didn't have any, but I assumed that it was the same as sweetened condensed milk. Dumb, I know....but to be fair my frozen hot chocolate recipe can work with both so I assumed that they were similar enough to substitute. Luckily, Chris caught me before I dumped the cans in. I ran to the store and got the RIGHT kind of canned milk.
Second road bump....Onions; 2 of them. About 1/4 of the way through the first onion I ran out of the room to shield my burning eyes. Chris took over, but soon joined me in taking cover. We chopped in shifts, and didn't get much done. My pre-med hubby said, "Imma go Chem 105 on this junk." He went to his desk and came back with two pair of lab goggles.
Don't worry about the glare...Imma Pirate.
We were then able to successfully chop both onions with ease (although there is still a small bite of onion in the air).

The rest of the process went off without a hitch. But, the real test came when we sat down for dinner that evening....

Its a keeper! Chris and I both really enjoyed the soup and are planning to make it again. 

For those of you who are interested...here is our recipe from this evenings kitchen escapades:
New England Clam Chowder
Makes 6-8 Servings
6 slices bacon, diced
2 onions, chopped
5 cans (6.5 ounces each) clams, drained and liquid reserved
6 medium red potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans (12 ounces each) EVAPORATED milk :)
   salt, to taste
   snipped fresh chives (optional)
Cook and stir bacon and onions in medium skillet until onions are tender. Place in crock pot.
Add enough water to reserved clam liquid to make 3 cups. Pour into crock pot, add potatoes, garlic, and pepper. Cover; cook on Low (5-8 hours) or High (1-3 hours).
Turn crock pot to low and mix in reserved clams and evaporated milk. Cover; cook 30 to 45 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, and garnish with chives if desired.



1 comment: