Wednesday, January 2, 2013

just another post about the new year

One thing that I learned in the last last year was that the mentality of New Year Resolutions is a set-up for failure: the idea that you set goals only at the first of the year is bogus. 
Last year, I set all my goals on January 1-one for each month of the year. It seemed reasonable, even attainable, however, I didn't anticipate the changes that would occur within me over time. When March rolled around the goals that had seemed perfect for me seemed irrelevant and, with that, my resolutions were out the window. 
When fall semester started, I realized what had happened and tried something new: each Sunday I would sit down and set one or two weekly goals (relating to my larger long term goals). I checked in throughout the week to ensure progress and to make sure I was on track. I had more success with this method in the last 4 months than I have in 15+ years of resolutions. With my week-by-week system, my goals were able to evolve with me.

With that being said...
I believe in having big dreams and, with them, big goals.
I love new beginnings and clean slates.
I hope that I am not coming across preachy or self-righteous, that is not my intent. I just wish that I would have figured this out sooner, and to be honest, I am proud of my little system. 

I wish everyone the best of luck in their New Year's endeavors! Let's make 2013 a year to remember!


No comments:

Post a Comment